The Norman doorway shows plainly from the road and tells us that there must have been a very fine church here in the Norman period; subsequently, each part of the building was reconstructed leaving us with only this one Norman feature. It has a single-scallop shaft on each side of the doorway and the semi-circular arch is high enough to allow the tympanum within to be filled with a checkered pattern, sometimes called a LOZENGE pattern.
The Tower commands your attention by its tremendous height and beauty. It belongs to the early Perpendicular period (c.1390) and has a splendid West door which is still used for weddings and special occasions. Above the door is a very large West window with a central battlemented transom and further transoms in the tracery above the five main lights.
A stair turret goes right up the south-east angle of the tower to the parapet. There is flush-work on the parapet as well as on the angle buttress of the tower. It even had a spiralet on top at one time. The South Porch is interesting because the outer doorway has a sharply-pointed arch typical of the 14th century Decorated period, which makes it earlier than the windows of this church.
To the right of the porch can be found stones in the nave wall with initials and a date, 1686, referring to some restoration work. Again near the south-east corner, there is an odd arrangement of stones in an oval in the wall, which is difficult to interpret. Perhaps they were stones from the second church, which were put there during this restoration. The windows are 15th century (Perpendicular period) designs.